Officially adopted by The International Association of Lions Clubs in 1974, the Lions International Youth Camp Program fulfills the First Object of the Lions.
To create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
The objectives of the program are:
APPLICATION TIMEFRAME: January 1, 2024 to March 2024 (NOTE: COMPLETED APPLICATIONS ARE FOR OUTGOING OUTGOING ARIZONA YOUTH ONLY.
The Board of Directors of the Arizona Lions Youth Exchange (C Kirby Smithe Lions International Youth Exchange) is announcing that 2024 will be a year of reorganization after 45 years of operation. The 2023 summer camp was a great success following camp cancelations for three years because of Covid. However, there were tremendous problems with funding including increased costs of hotels and related travel costs averaging a 40% increase compared to 2019. We had a funding deficit of over $12,000 which depleted our reserves. There was a lack of support from over 35% of previously involved clubs. There were additional issues including difficulties finding host families and staff supervisors for the van trips, underfunded budget and fundraising support from Lions clubs, staff difficulty planning itineraries, and the need for more Board members. The small current Board cannot plan a full camp for 2024.
Due to the above reasons, we have decided not to have a hosted camp this year. However, we will send out Arizona youth to camps within the USA and to other parts of the world. We will continue to accept Arizona application referrals from clubs for youth from families who can fully fund their teen’s trip. Most importantly, there will be a new focus asking Arizona clubs to sponsor underserved, academically responsible youth ages 16 to 20. These underserved youth would never have the opportunity to participate in a Lions youth exchange without our efforts to fund their experience. We are asking Arizona clubs to fully or partially fund their referrals. The number of Arizona youth traveling to other counties is totally dependent upon funds raised in support of this program. The Board is optimistic that with additional assistance we will be able to provide high quality experiences for outbound youth.
THESE GUIDELINES ARE DESIGNED TO INSURE OUR CAMPER'S SAFETY
Arizona Lions Youth Exchange Camp and Host Family Guidelines- Updated 2024
1. The camp language is English, so speak English with all participants and staff. Please do not use "inappropriate" language.
2. Demonstrate a positive helpful attitude toward each other showing respect for different ethnic, religious, cultural, political and social attitudes.
3. Follow instructions and requests given by camp staff.
4. Participate in all activities in the camp programs, unless there is a physical limitation which should be addressed with camp staff.
5. Smoking is NOTpermitted at anytime. Note that Arizona law prohibits use or possession of tobacco products under the age of 18, legal adult.
6. For your safety, you are not allowed to ask for or accept any transportation from unauthorized persons or to drive any type of motor vehicle.
7. Drugs and alcohol are absolutely forbidden. This is a non-negotiable violation and is subject to being sent home immediately. Note that Arizona laws for possession and consumption of alcohol is set at the age of 21. Being arrested as a minor in Arizona presents extreme legal complications and expense for you and/or your parents.
8. Pairing off with a single camp participant distracts from sharing and becoming friends with all members of the camp. No sexual relations are permitted or "prolonged" displays of affection.
9. Please limit your phone contacts, texting and social media contacts with friends at home. Remember, you are here to get to know many cultures and become friends. It's suggested you tell friends back home that you are away for a month, so there will be limited contact for that period of time. Use of cell phones while traveling in the van for the North and South travel trips is discouraged.
It's strongly recommended that calls and texts back home be limited to early mornings prior to leaving the hotels and at night after camp activities.
10. Time schedules for the North and South van travel are very strict as staff must have you in locations at very specific times for Lions sponsored activities. BE PUNCTUAL!
11. Expect each host family to be culturally different and don't expect that your experience with a host family will be the same as others. The family activities are also different, especially where host parents choose to take you. Do your best to participate and remember these families are volunteering their homes and taking on many expenses to show you a good time. Focus on members of the host family and abide by their requests.
Ask your host parent(s) what their plans are and discuss before attempting to invite other campers. Expect that your host family does many things just with your host family that may not include other campers, although there will be some group host family activities planned in advance.
12. Campers may not leave the Host Family and/or hotel property without explicit permission of the Host Family parents or Camp Staff. If you are given permission to leave the hotel property, you must have at least one other camper or Camp Staff with you. Please remember that van travel days can be very long, so you need a full night's sleep of at least eight hours.
13. If you have issues with staff or host families, please contact the Arizona YEC (Lion Tony at 520-850-6725) or host family chairperson (Lion Bernie at 520-909-8506). We are here to help you have a good cultural exchange experience. If you are not comfortable in a situation, please know that your safety is most important, so please call your YEC or Host Family Chairperson at anytime 24/7 or staff mentor while van traveling.
14. By participating in the Arizona Lions Youth Exchange program you and your parent(s) provide permission that many multimedia materials (e.g., photos) can be posted or utilized on social or other multimedia outlets by or on behalf of LCI, Inc. (Lions Clubs International) or Arizona Youth Exchange, and other official Lions Clubs. Detailed information such as addresses or phone numbers will not be released without additional parent permission.
Country: _________________________________ Date:___________________
Print Camp Participant Name
Camper's Signature (Minor's and/or Legal Adult Camper, age 18)
YOUR DONATION CAN HELP SEND ARIZONA YOUTH AMBASSADORS FOR PEACE AND UNDERSTANDING TO COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD AND SUPPORT ARIZONA YOUTH CAMP ACTIVITIES
Are you passionate about what we're doing? Let us know! We are always looking for volunteers to help us make our vision a reality. We'll help you find a way to volunteer that best suits you. We're excited to have you join the team!
Copyright © 2023 Arizona Lions International Youth Exchange - All Rights Reserved.