Officially adopted by The International Association of Lions Clubs in 1974, the Lions International Youth Camp Program fulfills the First Object of the Lions.
To create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
The objectives of the program are:
APPLICATION TIMEFRAME: November 1, 2017 through February 15, 2018
CAMP FEES: $400 USD, PLUS $35 USD BANK TRANSFER FEES
Total Camp Dates: July 12, 2018 through August 13, 2018
July 12, 2018: Campers Arrive at Tucson, Arizona International Airport
Southern Arizona Van Tour: July 13, 2018 throuigh July 20, 2018
Family Hosting Period: July 21, 2018 through August 3, 2018
Northern Arizona Van Tour: August 4, 2018 through August 11, 2018
Flights Home from Tucson International Airport: August 13, 2018
THESE GUIDELINES ARE DESIGNED TO INSURE OUR CAMPERS SAFETY
1. The camp language is English, so speak English with all participants and staff. Please do not use "inappropriate" language that may be common in some American movies.
2. Demonstrate a positive helpful attitude toward each other showing respect for different ethnic, religious, cultural, political and social attitudes.
3. Follow instructions and requests given by camp staff.
4. Participate in all activities in the camp programs, unless there is a physical limitation which should be addressed with camp staff.
5. Smoking is discouraged; however, campers may smoke only in designated areas (never in van) at the discretion of camp staff and/or host family. Campers must be 18 years of age to smoke cigarettes according to Arizona State Law.
6. For your safety, you are not allowed to ask for or accept any transportation from unauthorized persons or to drive any type of motor vehicle.
7. Drugs and alcohol are absolutely forbidden. This is a non-negotiable violation and is subject to being sent home immediately. Note that Arizona laws for possession and consumption of alcohol is set at the age of 21. Being arrested as a minor in Arizona presents extreme legal complications and expense for you and/or your parents.
8. Pairing off with a single camp participant distracts from sharing and becoming friends with all the members of the camp. No sexual relations are permitted or "prolonged" displays of affection.
9. Please limit your phone contacts, texting and social media contacts with friends at home. Remember, you are here to get to know many cultures and become friends. It's suggested you tell friends back home that you are away for a month, so there will be limited contact for that period of time.
10. Time schedules for the North and South van travel are very strict as staff must have you in locations at very specific times for Lions sponsored activities. BE PUNCTUAL!
11. Expect each host family to be culturally different and don't expect that your experience with a host family will be the same as others. The family activities are also different, especially where host parents choose to take you. Do your best to participate and remember these families are volunteering their homes and taking on many expenses to show you a good time. Focus on members of the host family and abide by their requests.
12. Campers may not leave the Host Family and/or hotel property without explicit permission of the Host Family parents or Camp Staff. If you are given permission to leave the hotel property, you must have at least one other camper or Camp Staff with you. Please remember that van travel days can be very long, so you need a full night's sleep of at least eight hours.
13. If you have issues with staff or host families, please contact the Arizona YEC (Lion Tony at 520-850-6725) or host family chairperson (Lion Mimi at 520-401-9554). We are here to help you have a good cultural exchange experience, but you need to do your part to meet us half- way.
Are you passionate about what we're doing? Let us know! We are always looking for volunteers to help us make our vision a reality. We'll help you find a way to volunteer that best suits you. We're excited to have you join the team!